Tuesday 13 March 2012

Bearwood BMX At The Spinney Dirt Jumps

A Great place To Ride Back In The Day Was The Spinney Dirt Jumps. This place was real good to ride and had a good selection of dirt jumps, Bearwood BMX had some real great times had down there. The Spinney jumps where in Kingswinford, just down the road from Dudley and the locals were all good guys, and was very good on the jumps. Bearwood BMXs way of riding was to have a laugh first then have loads more fun riding. This, and just a bunch of crazy dude's together was a mixture and a half. One memory I have about being at The Spinney was there was loads of jumps dotted about all over the place, and the area it covered was quite big. The actual place was quite deep from the road level, and had plenty of trees which was a natural canopy on a rainy day. There was a little set of about 4 or 5 jumps, some being sets of Doubles and all going downhill, which were real good to ride. one day I was riding these on my own. You would start from the top, One or Two Pedals to start the motion off, after this you would just roll, being it a downhill. Slowly build up pace whilst you just fly over the jumps, after you jumped the set of 5. There was a Right Turn at the bottom, This Path would just Turn Right and proceed going downhill. When you got to the bottom of the 5 and done the Right Turn. Also having No Brakes meant there was some good speed being picked up by know. I made the Right Turn with the tyres just about gripping, the tyres was trying to slide out. No Brakes and flying down the hill and getting faster and faster. This Right Turn and Downhill was new terrain to me. I looked up and ahead, just to see a big mound of dirt at the bottom of this hill. It was massive and turned out to be a take off to a dirt jump. As soon I noticed what it was and thought while speeding down towards it, NAH. I dont want to do the jump, never had ever seeing it before and not sure about what it held on the other side. I start to put my foot down on the ground and try and stop my bike, but it being a sandy/gravel surface, it's not happening. By this time I'm now hauling towards this big mound of dirt. I put my foot back on the pedal and say a Quick Prayer. Then just pedalled towards the jump as fast as I could, You could not see over the Take Off at all, Then Not knowing how far the gap is to the landing or even if there is one their???. I just remember going towards the take off at full speed, thinking "I'M DONE " I hit the take off with so much speed that I was just flying through the air, Alot higher than I would of chosen to. Remember looking down, I could see all the landing passing by below me, I ended up clearing all the landing and made it down on the back wheel at an angle I thought I would be crashing, (BRACE BRACE BRACE) But by Grace Of God I made it down safe and sound. I was quite shocked by it all and kind of shaken up, I walked up to the rest of the boy's who were at the top riding the other jumps. I told them to try these Little set of doubles out I have just come across, and they were good. By now a few of the boy's in the Team was riding BRAKELESS. I asked them to line up in a single file just like a train, The path was narrow and shouted Lets Go !!. Off we go in a line down the hill close to the bike in front. We are jumping the set of 5 doubles picking up speed. As we got to the bottom I just shouted Turn Right there is more jumps, (Now I've Not Told Them About The Big Take Off At The Bottom), As soon as we Turn Right and start going down towards the Take Off. All you can hear when its comes into view is shouts and screams of "Get Out My Way" "WTF Is That" And All Sorts. You could hear bikes in the back going off course and Abandoning the jump and veering off into the trees and bushes. Scraping of Shoes Filling The Air. I was nearly falling off my bike at the front, Laughing so much. When the boy's was hitting the Take Off and going through the air you would hear all sorts of verbal. The ones who followed it through had made it over safely but a little shaken. We had a good laugh about it after. This jump ended up being a favourite in the end. A Great Memoriable Moment. Looking Back, The Gap Between The Take Off And Landing Was LARGE. MUCH PEACE AND BLESSINGS TO EACH AND ALL BEARBMX

No comments: